Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dilemma #1 - The Door



2 feet. That's all that stands between what we have and what (I think) I want. I constantly find myself going back to the house plans and looking at the entry way. It's a small space, which makes sense given the "quality over quantity of space" approach we're taking. But I just can't seem to resolve myself to having a really simple entryway. More specifically, a really simple entry door.

This is what I would love to have.




























This is what I think we're going to have.


























OK, OK. I know the context of the images isn't fair, but the bottom line is that when I look for images of a door that will fit in our space all they show is a door. No sidelights, no transoms, nothing else. And that's because nothing else will fit. 2 feet doesn't sound like much, but it means a change in the roof, the trusses, the foundation, the flooring, etc.etc.etc. Bottom line is that it's a very expensive small amount of space. All for the sake of a door that won't actually improve the utility of the house.

Quality, not quantity...quality, not quantity...quality, not quantity...quality, not quantity...quality, not quantity...quality, not quantity

Eventually it's going to stick.

No comments: